Friday 11 March 2011

The Ordinariate - What are they playing at?

I have been interested and dismayed by the stories this week of hundreds of Anglican clergy leaving the Church of England for the Roman Catholic church.
I am fully in agreement with them in not wanting to endorse women bishops or homosexual clergy, but joining the Roman Catholic church is surely not the way forward.
Obviously for those who are joining the Ordinariate, all that occurred in the reformation is meaningless. The huge numbersof those martyred for refusing to accept the Catholic mass have been forgotten.

I realise this sounds like I am anti-Catholic, but I'm not.  I truly believe that there are many born-again Catholics who I will be able to laugh with in heaven about all of our misguided theologies.
That said, there are some major beliefs in the Catholic church which are simply not Christian.  - How does an Anglican vicar having handed out bread and wine as a symbol of Jesus body and blood, change to administering the actual body and blood of Christ.
Transubstantiaton is NOT a Christian doctrine, and it was because of this very belief that so many reformers were martyred.  Jesus died once for all Hebrews 9:24-28. The doctrine of transubstantiation believes that every time the elements of bread and wine are given Christ is sacrificed again! If that were the case, then the cross wasn't enough! If Jesus needs to be re-sacrificed for our forgiveness, then I am not saved. Thank God that this is not the case. He died once for all, that I and you might live.
I understand that the liberal theology that is pervasive among many in the Church of England is to be deplored. I agree that you should not belong to a church where you cannot trust and follow those in authority, but please Anglican brothers and sisters, don't trade what you've got for something worse.
Christ's death and resurrection is fundamental to all Christianity, if I need to re-sacrifice Christ through the mass, or need to say penance to absolve my sin then Christ died for nothing! I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment